Graduate Writing Resources
Additional Online Assistance for Grads and Postdocs
Western graduate students and postdoctoral scholars can book a 50-minute one-to-one Zoom Session with a writing advisor, or submit drafts of written assignments or writing-related questions to be reviewed by a writing advisor online.
ZOOM APPOINTMENTs and Online Writing Assistance
Dissertation Writers' Retreat POSTPONED
Dissertation Writers' Retreats are designed to provide Western PhD candidates in year 4 or above with dedicated time and space for intensive writing. Participating in the retreat can help you make significant progress in writing your dissertation, and help establish good writing habits that will enable you to meet future objectives. By providing you with a comfortable, encouraging, and distraction-free space, as well as support from expert writing advisors, we will give you the opportunity to remove yourself from daily distractions and time demands to focus exclusively on dissertation writing. The Dissertation Writers' Retreat is specifically for writing your dissertation. The Dissertation Writers' Retreat scheduled for April 20 - 22 has been postponed due to Western's response to COVID-19. Contact Doug Campbell firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions or need additional information.
Graduate Writing Room
The Graduate Writing Room is CLOSED until further notice.
Our Graduate Writing Room is a dedicated space for graduate students and postdoctoral scholars. Located just inside the Writing Support Centre, the Graduate Writing Room offers computer work stations and a comfortable seating area. Graduate students and post-docs are welcome to use this area Monday to Thursday from 10am until 4pm. In addition, you may reserve this space on Fridays for academic uses such as seminars, study or writing groups, or to practice presentations or your thesis defence. We ask that when you use this space you:
- Check in at the 4th floor reception in the Western Student Services Building (WSS 4100)
- Sign in when you arrive in the Graduate Writing Lab
- Respect the area as a quiet study space by entering and exiting quietly and keeping the door closed
- Use the resource materials on site
If you have questions or would like to reserve the Graduate Writing Room on a Friday, please contact Doug Campbell at 519-661-2111 extension 85950 or at email@example.com.
GradWRITE: Writing Handouts
- Writing Abstracts
- Research Statements
- The Science of Scientific Writing
- Conference Posters
- Writing Strategies: Just Do It, Grahn
- Writing Grant Proposals, Nelson
- Writing a Manuscript, McNeil
- Best Practices for Academic Publishing, Doherty
- Writing (Successful) Grant Proposals, Burkell
- Writing Effective Scholarships, Culham
- How to Read a Journal Article, Culham
- Tell the Story, Besnier and Morales
Our general Writing Support Handouts contain explanations and examples of university appropriate English language grammar and style.
Directory of University Writing Centres
Other university writing centres have their own sets of resources. If you have been through our site and are looking for further information or help, check out the following selected list:
- Athabasca University, Write Site
- Dalhousie University, Writing Centre resource Guide
- Emily Carr University of Art and Design, "The Writing Centre Handouts"
- Purdue University OWL
- Queens University, Writing Centre Tip Sheets
- University of Alberta, Centre for Writers Resources
- University of Calgary, "Online Writing Resources"
- University of North Carolina, The Writing Centre "Tips and Tools"
- University of Ottawa, The Writing Centre Resources
- University of Toronto, Writing in the Health Sciences
- University of Toronto, Engineering Communication Program Online Handbook
- University of Victoria, Centre for Academic Communication
- University of Wisconsin, "The Writer's Handbook"
Western Libraries has created up-to-date Online Style Guides for academic citations and referencing. Several citation management systems are also available for all Western students, staff, and faculty; this web-based software can help you organize and format your citations.
Resources to get you started:
If you are looking for sources, Western Libraries' subject-specific Research Guides are a good place to begin your search.
Electronic Thesis and Dissertation Repository
The School of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies' Electronic Theses & Dissertation Repository site has resources to help you find all the information you might require in order to format and successfully submit your graduate thesis for examination and publication electronically.
Help for Writing Research Grants and Awards:
Research Grants and Awards
- Academic Development Fund - New Research and Scholarly Initiative Awards
- Western Strategic Support for NSERC Success
- Western Strategic Support for CIHR Success
- Western Strategic Support for SSHRC Success
- Western Strategic Support for Research Accelerator Success
- AFLM Premier Research Grant
Schulich Medicine and Dentistry Research Office :
Western Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies: SGPS
Western Society of Graduate Students: SOGS