Summer Academic Writing Clinic
Western’s Summer Academic Writing Clinic (SAWC) is a three-day program designed to help students transition to university. Writing ability is a major factor in academic success. At SAWC students learn about all aspects of writing at the university level: subject-specific writing, academic writing styles, professor expectations, research, sourcing, thesis statements, critical thinking skills, and more.
SAWC is a great opportunity for incoming first-year students to build confidence and skills while meeting new friends, experiencing residence life, and exploring Western.
- Session 1: July 22-24
- Session 2: August 5-7
- Session 3: August 12-14
- With accommodation: $459.00
- Without accommodation: $359.00
- HST included in both rates
Each Session includes:
- 3 days of informative classroom instruction, workshops, and tutorials conducted by Western faculty and Writing Support Centre staff
- Program materials including Write Right: Making the Transition to University Writing
- Professor panel session and Q & A
- 2 nights of accommodation in Ontario Hall, Western's newest residence (optional)
- All meals catered on campus at the Grad Club (included in both prices)
- Library demonstrations and data searches
- Evening activities on campus
- Check out what former students say about SAWC
- The SAWC Certificate becomes part of your Co-Curricular Record
What past participants say about SAWC...
What professors say about SAWC...
“The Summer Academic Writing Center is precisely the kind of thing we need in order to make contact with students before they enter the exhilarating, terrifying world of university. In 19 years of teaching, I’ve never seen a program that is as well-focused, emphasizes the right kinds of skills, and has the wonderful atmosphere of SAWC at Western. It is a delight to see students paying attention to not only writing, but the kinds of life skills they will need to thrive in university."
Dr. Tim Blackmore, Faculty of Information and Media Studies
Yvonne Fuller, SAWC Programmer
Phone: 519-661-2111 ext. 85500